190E oil leak

Recently I rebuilt the M102 engine in my 1988 190E 2.3 Ever since that time I have been losing oil...quite a lot actually. Well, I finally investigated this and found that the leak was around 3 of the oil pan bolts on the driver's side of the engine about midway between front and back of the engine. I actually found one bolt missing entirely! After replacing that bolt, and retourquing the bolts I could reach, I degreased the pan and took it for a long road test. To my horror, the leak did not stop! In fact, it is JUST as bad as before with the missing bolt!. This leak has a distinct pattern to it: streaks of oil form on either side of these three bolts and run down the pan. These bolts have been tightened down as much as I dare, and there was a new gasket installed when I rebuilt it. I don't understand why it leaks here. It sure didn't leak like that before it was rebuilt. Any suggestions?

Reply to
odb

Are you sure it's the pan? I had a similar looking leak but it turned out to be coming from the timing chain cover and the oil was getting blown back across the pan.

Reply to
Josh

If you are positive it is still leaking from the pan. then the pan is warped. What you can try to do is put a form-a-gasket stuff on the seal where it is leaking... be sure to clean it before applying.

Reply to
Tiger