190e poor fuel consumption

I've got a 1991 1.8 190e auto - the fuel consumption has gone through the roof. Have changed plugs, airfilter, leads and distributor cap to no avail.
Thre are no apprent leaks anywhere
Anyone got any bright ideas??!
TIA
Buzby
Does it have a cat? If so could be lambda sensor. Cheers Clive
--
- Clive Turnbull snipped-for-privacy@dsl.pipex.com

Yes, or something else in the mixture control.
Either the fuel is spilled somewhere before it enters the engine (look/smell for leaks in the fuel supply) - personally I had a leaking EHA - or the engine gets too rich mixture, which should be detected by the lambda sensor and corrected by the EHA via ECU.
It could also be as simple as a bad OVP relay (or blown fuse), causing the injection to work in failsafe mode without ECU control. Look first for this option.
OVP = Overvoltage protection (OVP relay is located behind plastic panel behind battery) EHA = Electrohydraulic actuator (located on backside of fuel distributor under air filter) ECU = Electronic Control Unit (located next to the OVP relay)
What does the plug look like? Fouled out on some cylinders? If so, I would say it is the fuel distributor.