190e questions

Hi all
    a few days ago I bought a '93 190E and after owning it a few days I surprise myself by likeing it more than a '89 300E I've been driving for all
these years. Finally MB go the heating system in a sensible way... hated the way it was set up in the 300 with no control over where the air actually went. shifting up from 1st is great and around town the 4 cyl has plenty of pepp and the smaller body is not a huge disadvantage - rather - I find that for twon driving it's actuall an advantage. Overall, love the car so far. Many thanks BTW, to Dori Sch. for his positive comments about the newer 190's.     One question is though, surely there should be illumination below the shifting legend (PD321) can anyone confirm that my lamp is burned out before I start taking apart the shifting console? Many thanks.     Sooo, to all the past naysayers about the 190's - I think you're all wrong, I believe it's an excellent car - jsut right for suburban driving and I've got a hunch it'l be good for long road trips also.
    - regards
you're right - you have a burned out bulb. when the lights are on on my '92 190e, the PRND32 is lit up. don't forget that the 190e takes off in 2nd, not 1st gear - that is, unless you kick down pretty hard!
and you're right about the long road trips too - the 190e is a great cruiser. although not so much for rear passengers, due to relative lack of legroom. '

all
actually
of
that
" don't forget that the 190e takes off in 2nd,

I thought the 2.3L 4 cylinder takes off in 1st to make up for its lower torque. The 2.6L 6 cylinder takes off in 2nd. No?

    You are absolutely correct. My '93 190e indeed starts out in 1st without the petal to the metal. In fact, initially at least, it feels a lot peppier than my 300e that does start out in 2nd with all that additional weight.
regards
Welcome! I hope the car continues to please.
The only gadget I missed going from my 1986 W124 230E to the 190 was the thermostat on the heater, which wasn't there on the 190, but you may have it on your version.
DAS --

    YES, indeed I do! Love that temperature gauge. However, when I look at the repair bills the previous lady driver had .... my mind boggles. With the 300e I had basically no, other than wear parts, repairs and the car's got 220K on it. The 190e has about 15k and counting repairs done to it. good grief. I note though the lady took it in to the dealer for 'everything' and lucky me, its been converted to r134 (or whatever the #'s are). Still, I need to look into the rather 'clunky' shifting. there must be wear related parts with the transmission. Any ideas about replacing the light illuminating the shifter??
- regards
Unfortunately not. I take my car in for 'everything' to a local independent, including blown bulbs. I don't recollect that one, though.
My car is soon to go for its 72 000 mile service (at about 70k as it hasn't had a major one for years) and I might still do that at a Merc dealership, probably for the last time, given the car's age and value.
DAS --