190E Stalling problems

Mercedes 1992 190E 2.6 I bought my car two month ago (in December). Two weeks ago it start acting up: all of a sudden there is a total loss of fuel power, all the
instrument lights come on and the radio stays on but the power steering goes out and the engine shuts down. If I start car in 5-10min everything is fine. Its like the engine just shuts itself off. The car does "chug and struggle" when this happens. I did change Fuel Pump, but it did not help. Thanks in advance for any help offered. Al
There's a relay called the "over voltage protection relay" (OVP) that gets tired and causes such symptoms. It has a fuse on its top. Suggest you focus on it; your car is the "right age" for it to fail.
permission.
-->> T.G. Lambach <<-- wrote:

I'll second this recommendation.
If not this, then fuel pump relay.
Tiger wrote:

I have two of these Benzes (an '87 w124 and an '88 w201), does anyone know if the OVP and Fuel pump relays in these cars are interchangeable?
That could be handy for troubleshooting if (or when) my cars start having problems.
Ximinez

Ximinez, absolutely.... I've got both of these cars myself and have done just that recently.
cheers, guenter
ps, moreover if the OVP is bad (measure contact resistance) simply open it up and clean the relay contact surfaces.... works great
Guenter Scholz wrote:

Good, I might even stock up on some spares...
Ximinez
On Mar 21, 10:54 pm, The Spanish Inquisition

Thanks a lot. Quick update for my problem: I have not touched my car for a week, (even didn't start the ignition, was very busy at work) now I can not stat it at all :(( I have all electrical power, no warnings, and it sounds like trying to start, but nothing. I did checked and cleaned the Overload Relay. BTW. In 190E 1992 Fuel Pump Relay in build in with MAS, so if it is Fuel Relay - I'll have to change the MAS ?!
Thanks again !!!! Al.
Not so fast there..... is yours a 2.3 or 2.6? If it's a 2.3 you have a relay behind the battery somewhere probably... if it's a 2.6, ouch, MAS
cheers, guenter

On Mar 25, 5:15 pm, snipped-for-privacy@sciborg.uwaterloo.ca (Guenter Scholz) wrote:

Yes, it is 2.6, So it is MAS - ouch !!!!! :( I'll change it this week and let you know. I hope that MAS is the problem. Al
On Mar 25, 6:15 pm, snipped-for-privacy@sciborg.uwaterloo.ca (Guenter Scholz) wrote:

Hi, Thank you all for the HELP. Finally I changed distributor cap, distributor rotor and ignition coil. Now it is running. Temperature +15c outside and I did more that 300km alreday after the repair.
I have some other problem: I do have to press the gas pedal before I start the engine when it is cold. As soon as it starts, car is running well and start when it hot without any problems. Previously I did change the Fuel pumps (2 of them) did NOT help; I'm not recommending doing this.
Thank You one more time. Al.