190e steering box leaking

I've got a 1987 190E 2.6 petrol and recently lost all power steering. checked the reservoir and it was completely empty. I raised the car and traced the leak to where the steering column enters the steering box. I suspect that its just a broken seal. Has anyone had any experience with this or something similar? How much work is it to disasemble the steering box and install a new seal? The Haynes manual I have describes how to replace the "lower" seal where the drop arm connects but nothing about what I need. Anyone know where I can get a diagram of the insides of a steering box? Or could the problem be something completely different?

Reply to
phule