190e will be the death of me

My old 190e would not start because I thought the fuel pump was bad so I changed it.I can run power to the pump and get fuel to the engine.My question is I messed with the fp relay and now I have no spark.Can the fuel
pump relay tell the ignition system not to work?Or did I screw something else up?By the way,Haynes manuals in my opinion are not adequate for troubleshooting.Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.1988 190e 2.3 l.124,000 miles