1964 220s brake problems??

Anyone still remember the braking system of the 64 mercedes style cars?? I am getting a hard brake pedal...Its so bad that I push with (both feet) as hard as I can and it will move down slowly. I have replaced
the calipers and there is fluid coming out at the caliper bleed screws if I open them up and step on the brakes.... Looking under the hood all I see is the master cylinder and then a couple of the brake lines run all the way to the front of the car behind the driver side headlights to a large round cylinder?? I believe it is some type of vacuum assist as it has a large hose coming off of it going into the engine. When I step on the brakes I can hear some activity in the "cylinder"? Any ideas?? Thanks in advance!! :)
On 2005-01-21 21:43:01 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (:\) :\)) said:

Vacuum booster might be bad. Could be collapsed brake line or a bad master.
Those are a few ideas.
Marty
Thanks Marty..Im going to look at these 3 areas!! Thanks again:)
The vacuum booster isn't helping you brake the car; it's not working so you now have to overcome 1 BAR pressure against your brake pedal application.
1. Check that there's vacuum at the hose connection to the booster with the engine at idle. If not, that's the problem and you need to find why not. Hint: Could be a collapsed vacuum hose to the engine's intake manifold.
2. If vacuum is present in the booster end of the vacuum hose then the booster is suspect and may need to be replaced. Given the car's age you may need to go MBUSA's "Classic Parts" Department for a replacement or, hopefully, a repair kit.
Someone may know how to rebuild the booster, for these old cars were designed to be repaired rather than have their parts replaced.
Thanks for the help..Im going to check it out tomorrow! Thanks again:)