1965 250SE Question

Thanks, all.

Just purchased a 65 250SE sight unseen. Supposedly perfect original shape, inside & out. Saw pictures & it looks mint.

Old person selling it said it just wont start.

Now, aside from the obvious (ignition/spark/fuel supply) is there anything else MODEL SPECIFIC that I should look for as being the problem?

Keep in mind, there has never been an engine put in front of me that I have not gotten running. I'm just trying to save some time when it gets here, by one of you saying something like "Oh, yeah, the 65 with the mechanical injection has a gooodiddy valve that sticks sometimes cutting off fuel" or something like that.

I really appreciate the assistance.

Mike

Reply to
iNet

Oh, yeah, the 65 with the mechanical injection has a gooodiddy valve that sticks sometimes cutting off fuel...

Reply to
AJDalton7

LOL! Guess I asked for that....

Reply to
iNet

Yeah, you did

but you were close ...

The valve is the cold start valve and it is located in the middle of the intake ram tube. It has a single wire to it. Check for 12v there when cranking engine over . If no voltage there , check the fuse for cold start valve. Jumper a 12v wire from bat + to there and see if it starts.. I can tell you the rest of the circuit after these quick checks

Reply to
AJDalton7

See, that is why I love this group. That is a fantastic lead, and sounds right. Thanks.

I used to be an Opel Manta guru when I was alot younger. 1975 was my specialty, 1st year they put on fuel injection. I knew every trick in the book to fool the electronic fuel injection to actually fire the engine...

Thanks

Reply to
iNet

Also check that you can hear the fuel pump running when the key is in the run position. The pump is electric and is back under the tank. Also fused....

Reply to
AJDalton7