1966 Mercedes 200S, should I get it?

Page 1 of 2
Hi, I have an opportunity to get a really cheap (around $1000) 1966 200S, 2L 4cyl gas. The car is supposedly fine mechanically, it passed what we call AirCare
here. It requires a new clutch, that's about it for serious work. Is this a car for which parts are hard to get? It is supposedly 65% restored. Are these cars money pits?
TIA cp
Mercedes-Benz has a classic parts department that can find the parts that this old car may need. You might first ask the price before ordering.
Owning such an old car is something for someone who loves to be involved with the car - as a hobby - for these small motors need to be carefully adjusted to make their power - old style ignition systems and carburetors, mechanical valve adjustment etc.
If that's what you like then the car may be the one for you, otherwise pass.
How are the shock towers? When they are rusted through, that signifies end of life for this fine car.
Rick Rikoski

Good point, am checking car out in 30 min, thanks! cp

I just talked to a mechanic and he said the parts are not a problem, the problem is how many parts the car needs :-)

hmmmm so the motor is high maintenance? If so, then I definitely will pass.
Thank you for the much needed advice!
cp
I've taken a close look at the car and I'm still interested in it. Will have to get a mech to check it to make sure.
The only problem mechanically the car seems to have is that the differential leaks a bit. It has a rebuilt transmission and new clutch. The engine? When the owner tried to start it, it would just turn, but then he realized that the choke was off (I noticed that the double carbs were both full open) and when he tried again the car started immediately, no hesitation. Not bad for an engine that was supposedly only turned a couple of times this year, about a month ago last. He turned the engine on and off a couple of times, it started no problem. No smoke, even exhaust, engine works very evenly, didn't notice any breathing when I opened the oil cap. The car looks like a prime candidate for restoration, body is excellent, just a bit of rust under the right side trim, about 80 of the body is ready to paint, much restoration done. The owner says it will do 75mph no problem, small engine after all. All the maintenance records are available till 1980. The undercarriage looks more solid than most recent benzes I've seen, everything is massive and has no rust, probably a southern car. I have to take it for a test drive, see how it goes uphill, the owner says it goes fine, no race car of course. It doesn't have power steering, you think the steering will be heavy?
And no rust anywhere important, actually, it doesn't really have noticeable rust, definitely not around the shock towers.
What you think? Worth calling the mech over for an inspection? :-)
Thanks in advance for any advice
cp

Pinion seal. $100 to fix including parts.

Uh-huh. THat's a $3000 repair job. Tip of the iceberg.

WHo cares? See how tight the front end it. They're expensive pigs to fix.

ONLY if the inspector is very very familar with 108's. If not it's no batter than tossing a coin (that always comes up on the wrong side).
Some parts are getting had to find. The classics center had them but they're ultra stupid expensive.
Keep in mind these cars were built when labour was $4/hr. They're increadbly labour intensive.
You'd really be way better off in a 123 or 126. I love my 108's but I do't for a moment consider them to be practical cars. And how to you feel about 15MPG on premium?
Or 14" tires in a size you can't get any more?
Pics at http://www3.telus.net/cplas/66benz.htm

Sounds good!

No, duuude, $3000?? For what? The paint job? That's just the thing, I know the right people. I know a bunch of Euro immigrant car shops and they do everything, the paint jobs are beautiful, and they're my dad's clients and my friends, so no problem there. One friend used to have a pro paint shop, he would do paint jobs on expensive cars, now he works for another friends paint shop (had a health problem, lost everything) and I can get a beautiful paint job for $300CAD! If you're in Vancouver and needs painting email me! :-)

Another thing to check, thank you.

Actually, no point for an inspection on a $1000 car, if something happens I'll just ditch it. My parents will probably give me their old 300D but I tell you, mechanically the heckflosse is better! On the 300D I will have to buy another W123 (have to phone the guy in a minute) so I can use for replacement parts. The one I want to buy (also $1000) has a bad engine and transmission, not that I care, I'll chuck them. But the heckflosse is solid. Goes 120kmh and that's enough for me, will have to test it out on our steep hills here.

Oh there's no way I'd buy from mercedes, ebay or something germany. I hears in the middle east these cars are still for everyday driving. :-)

But I don't need any labour on it.

Can't it use w123 wheels? Or are those too heavy for the 4cyl engine?
Thank you for your advice, VERY HELPFUL INDEED, for myself and any future readers.
cp
Pics at http://www3.telus.net/cplas/66benz.htm
No insult intended, but you are out of your freaking mind.
Look at this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemE12850058
For $1100

That car is in condition five, described as follows -
#5 Poor: In need of complete restoration, but is complete and not a rust bucket beyond repair. May or may not run and drive. Not roadworthy.
At level 5, book value is $350.00
Lets say it moves up a notch to level 4
#4 Fair: runs and drives OK but needs work throughout the vehicle. Body shows signs of wear or previous restoration work. Any rust should be minimal and not in any structural areas. Cosmetics, body, and mechanics all need work to some degree.
Book value at level 4 skyrockets to $975.00
Were you to make it a level 1 car -
#1 Excellent: A close to perfect original or a very well restored vehicle. Generally a body-off restoration, but a well done body-on restoration that has been fully detailed may qualify. The vehicle is stunning to look at and any flaws are trivial and not readily apparent. Everything works as new. All equipment is original, NOS, or excellent quality reproductions
The book value tops at $6000.
The guy is selling the car to you for one reason - he actually thought he was going to need to pay someone to tow it away.
Not trying to be harsh, guy, but there are MUCH better deals on MUCH better cars for MUCH, MUCH less $$$

Wow, I didn't think I'd change my mind so fast. The ebay thing did alright. I can't believe anyone would sell a car like that for that little money......
Thanks for saving me!! :-)
Now I'm going to have to bother you about the 300D! I had a 300SD before but this one will require work.
Can't believe I changed my mind so fast.
cp

Considering the above, I think I was out of my mind, or the person that sold that car for such a small amount is out of theirs. I think I'll skip this one. Thanks for the help :-)
cp

Inside Scoop -
I had my eyes on a 250S for $2500 - that was beat, but I could fix it, yadda yadda yadda....
Then I saw that one at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemE12850058 So I purchased it. (I was the high bidder)
I'll show you one I would get without blinking an eye if I had the room -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryc29&itemE13375868&rd=1
Had one before - easy to work on, simple, and turns alot of heads.
Hell, maybe I can make the room....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryc29&itemE13375868&rd=1
I thought you were the lucky one, glad you were on tonight to convince me. Yes, I have to get myself one of these old guys one of these days. Do you have a website of your cars perhaps?
cp
I have some pics, email me sometime at sales at inet-lender dott comm
Seriously, the one for sale for $700+ is a nice start.

I forgot to ask about the gas mileage!

15MPG?? It's not a 6cyl! It's a 2L 4cyl 2 carb engine, why would it need high test gas? Couldn't I put in the cheap stuff?
TIA cp
the effort needed to hold a job is "minimal"; but usually, in lower- to middle-level jobs, whatever effort is required is merely that of obedience. You sit or stand where you are told to sit or stand and do what you are told to do in the way you are told to do it. Seldom do you have to exert yourself seriously, and in any case you have hardly any autonomy in work, so that the need for the power process is not well served.) 62. Social needs, such as sex, love and status, often remain in group 2 in modern society, depending on the situation of the individual. [10] But, except for people who have a particularly strong drive for status, the effort required to fulfill the social drives is insufficient to satisfy adequately the need for the power process. 63. So certain artificial needs have been created that fall into group 2, hence serve the need for the power process. Advertising and marketing techniques have been developed that make many people feel they need things that their grandparents never desired or even dreamed of. It requires serious effort to earn enough money to satisfy these artificial needs, hence they fall into group 2. (But see paragraphs 80-82.) Modern man must satisfy his need for the power process largely through pursuit of the a

True but this is in better shape than half the w123 on the road. What work it needs is in the interiors, and a paint job, mechanically it's very good. Will have to have a mech check it out of course.

Nah, this doesn't need any mechanical work, it was on the road before, my friend told me to buy it last year as all it needs is a paint job, no this car is ready for the road, I'm definitely not looking to restore it mechanically, it has to be solid, and I tell you, it's in better shape than a lot of w123. Actually, it doesn't need a mechanical check up, if it drives no problem than that should be good.
It's a 2L 4cyl 2 carb engine, in very nice shape, doesn't even breath with the oil cap off, very shiny inside; what do you think the fuel mileage is on a car like this?
TIA cp

Run. Run away at a very high rate of speed. There is nothing so expsenive as a $1000 Mercedes and a $1000 108 is going to need $10,000 to turn it into a $3000 car.
Find one for $300o that soe other sucker dumped 10K into.
Problem areas on a 40 year old 108:     o Brakes     o Suspension     o Motor     o Rust     o Electrics     o Heat. Or lack thereof. You do know you have to disassembler 3/4 of the car to replace the ehater fan, right?
There's no such thing as a rust free 108. You just havn't found it yet.
http://buying.articles.mbz.org/checklists/108 /
http://hvac.articles.mbz.org/mechanical /

:-) You've got me thinking too, it's just that this car already has had much time and money (perhaps) put into it. New clutch, rebuilt transmission, the engine (2L 4cyl, 2 carb) is faultless. After a month being off, it started each time in a moment, runs very even, no smoke, the exhaust is very even. Everything is massive about it, no rust other than under a fender. The rest of the body has been prepared for painting. The guy is moving so needs to get rid of it as he has 4 cars, 2 outside and the heckflosse is taking up too much space.
You given me some things to think of, I will have to take it for a ride to make sure it goes as well as the owner says.

This one is it! Except that it's only $1600, will let it go for $1200

Aren't those cheap and "standard"?

You mean shocks? They're cheap anyways.

Motor is excellent.

No problem.

It has electrics?

The fan? I know it has to have the heater core replaced, its out, waiting for one to be put in, any idea how much those are? I'm not about to go welding the old one.

This one has already been taken care of. Ready to be painted.

Perfect, THANKS! cp