1968 250 SE Euro Model

Hi,
I have a 1968 European (imported from france) 250 SE. It is very hard to start. It has the inline 6 engine. It takes a lot of cranking and I have also sprayed some ether in the intake a couple of times to get
it to start. Once it does start it does run pretty smooth and drives pretty tight.
Does anyone have any pointers to guide me in what direction to go in finding the problem?
It is in real nice shape not much rust so I would like to get it on the road.
Thank you.
Eric
See if the cold start valve is getting power when cranking...
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (eric) wrote in message

Have you tuned the engine, you know, new contact points in the distributor, condensor, cap, rotor, plugs and possibly wires? If that doesn't solve the problem then the fuel injection system might be the problem, but start with the tune up if you haven't done it.
-H
Thanks for the suggestions. We'll look into them and do the basic tune up. I haven't started it in a while but I think it did start again after you had gotten it going. I don't have much experience with cold start valves. Does it literally mean cold like 30' outside or just the initial start. It has trouble starting at first in warm weather. Are the cold start valves repairable? The one for this car is 700 dollars if it needs one which is more than the car cost me. May have to hunt the junkyards.
Thanks,
Eric