1969 280SE - fuel injection to carb?

Hi,

I'm the proud owner of a 280SE that has fuel injection problems like I cannot begin to describe. Basically I've decided that it's easier, and will likely save more fuel if I simply remove the mechanical FI and replace it with a decent carb(maybe a couple of Webers?).

I've looked and looked and can't find any aftermarket electronic FI systems for this car so this seems to be the best alternative in my position since our local Mercedes repair shop won't service anything that they haven't sold in the past 10 years. Anyone have any experience with such a project?

I'd also considered "scrapping" the entire drivetrain and replacing it with one from a more recent V8(a wrecked one obviously) but I'm still debating whether I'm wanting to restore the entire car, or simply concentrate on the body and let the drive train be more modern. They used to do such a thing with the old Jag engines by replacing them with a Cadillac V8..but that's cause the Jags were horribly built back then and at least in this case I'm keeping it entirely Mercedes.

Any thoughts?

P.S. My next Benz will be a diesel so I can start working on using alternative fuels but that's for much later.

Reply to
Eric H.

Suggest you research these models to see if there was a carburetted version of this 2.8 engine and, if so, try to buy that intake manifold and its carburettor(s). Alternatively, replace the mechanical fuel injection with same. I would not try to invent something else.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

Eric,

I would have to agree with T.G. since it will be a pain to find an intake manifold that will take carbs unless others have already done it. Others as in carburetors were originally offered and Mercedes itself was the 'other' to do it, or if there was an aftermarket movement that was replacing the FI with carbs. I doubt that that happened though. Altering the intake manifold to take a carb or two or three might be tricky. The design of the inside of an intake manifold is actually pretty advanced. randomly plugging up injector bungs and stuff like that can hurt flow going into the cylinders. If you had a good race shop that knew what they were doing, I might try it, but it sounds like you are not willing to go to anyone other than the local Mercedes dealer. Altering it outside of a mercedes design will be expensive.

Just my two cents worth.

Bill

Reply to
weelliott

If your motor is a 110.XXX type, you should know that in, I believe '76, M-B sold a 280S model that had a "compound carburetor" (whatever THAT was). This car model was sold in relatively small quantities; it wasn't a "winner".

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

-->> T.G. Lambach a "winner".

Thanks for all the replies. I'll keep all this in mind.

Reply to
Eric H.

The 280 SE(L) is the Fuel Injected version of the 280S engine (engine number 130.XXX)

You better check if you can easily fix the fuel injection. cause the Carburated version quite a fuel sucker.

Replacements with non Mercedes engines are generally not recommended.

Kind regards,

Maurits Obbink

Eric H. wrote:

Reply to
Maurits Obbink

Origial Carburator for the 250S (and presumably the 280S) is a Zenith,

manual @

Hope it helps.

regards,

Maurits.

Maurits Obb> The 280 SE(L) is the Fuel Injected version of the 280S engine (engine > number 130.XXX)

Reply to
Maurits Obbink

The Carb'd versions sucked. The fuel injection was actually much more reliable than the carbs ever were.

Much has been written about this sytems, google around a bit.

Dollars to donuts the rack is sticking.

Reply to
Richard Sexton