1971 250C buying recommendations

I looked at this car, and fell in love with it. However, I don't know much about this model. It had dual zenith carbs, and I think they may need some work. Floors and rockers are solid. I pull out the carpets and looked at the firewall as well. Interior is in good condition considering year. Any other info would be apprecitated.

P.S. I had a 1975 240D years ago, I'm familiar with the body, but not this model in particular

Reply to
VIPERS969

This old gas engine will have much greater maintenance requirements than your 240D ever did. Its valves need to be adjusted, its ignition kept up and then there's those carbs to contend with. You best know what SMOG test this car will need to pass in your state - and that it can before you buy it.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Sounds like you know hwre to look for Rust which is probably the biggest killler of these cars.

The carbs were disasters. They warp and suck in air. I've wathes guys, experienced with MB and former mechanics try for weeks to get a warped carb to be right and it just can't seem to be done.

There's Weber conversion kit from JAM Engineering. That's the only real solution.

These cars are otherwise great. They were the first /8 cars with the brand new to MB fullly independant suspention; everything before this was essentially a fintail derivative with a swing axle.

The 250C never got the cult status or priced the 111 280 coupes did but they're still really really nice cars. Especially with injected motors.

Keep looking for rust. You know it's there someplace.

Reply to
Richard J. Sexton (At work