1972 220- Timing Chain removal

so i finally got the cylinder head seperated, with a good dose of violence.

is it necessary that i seperate the timing chain, as it would catch on the tensioner, or is there a way to bypass the need to seperate the chain, by removing the tensioner for instance or some other clever way?

thanks in advance etc.

Reply to
Hartmann

Usually the chain comes off before the head IME... You could use a bungie to hold it up perhaps.

I don't know the design of that particular engine.

Sorry, Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

While it's clear you have more experience with this setup then I do, it seems insane to do it that way?

I always want to understand and be able to manually setup the sprocket positions as well as the distributor. Trying to "keep these in place" is a silly concept as far as I am concerned. Understanding how to line them up properly gives a much greater sense of confidence and more consistent results.

Is there no way to get at that 6mm Tensioner bolt you describe? Perhaps from underneath the car? Or maybe removing the Crank pulley?

Spending an Hour + getting that back together seems rather annoying.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

If your patience doesn't hold for an hour then blow the car to pieces, because it's the only way to do it! and it's not a tensioner bolt it's a straight piece of rod with internal

6mm thread which acts as the lower hold for the tensioner.

Why the f*ck are you talking about insane way, silly concept, annoying etc. when you don't know shit??

Before you started to dismantle the engine you should have put the crank in a position where the timing marks on the cam sprocket aligned with the mark on the head and the crank aligned with it's mark on the block, then it's easy if you keep the chain tight and don't drop it.

I was planning to help you with the timing procedure, but i really don't now anymore you seem to want to cut corners and thats a shame for your Benz.

Reply to
Roffe Berg

Dude, I am not the one working on my car, I am just commenting. Sorry you took it so personally, I didn't mean it that way.

Please do continue to help the poor bastard with his head off.

Let us never speak of it again. Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph