1974 Mercedes 240D

I think I've gone a bit nuts. I've bought a 1974 Mercedes-Benz 240D with 118K miles on it. 4-speed manual transmission. 30 MPG, manual windows and locks, and doesn't burn oil, so I -think- I've picked a winner. But as a first-time MB owner, I've got a few questions about it that the previous owner (guy in Columbus Ohio named Pete) said to pose to this newsgroup:

1) I feel I have a very thin floor, due to rusting. (How) should I weld steel plates to the car to reinforce the floor? Should I (can I) remove the front seats first to weld plates under the seats?

2) Shifting quickly from 1 to 2 makes a horrible sound, like the tranny wants to jump out of the car. But if I shift slowly and double-clutch, it shifts without complaint. Is this a sign of worn synchros, and is there anything I can do about it short of a transmission rebuild?

3) I want a passenger side exterior mirror. Does a mirror I buy

-have- to be from a 115 Benz, or can it be one from a 123?

4) Horsehair is falling out all over the place. How do I go about restuffing the front seats? Is there a documented or best way to do this?

5) Does MB have a lifetime warranty on safety equipment (safety belts, etc)? Because I have a rear seatbelt whose metal male end has broken off from the plastic housing, and the female end has completely fallen apart.

I know that I've asked a lot of questions, but I'd REALLY appreciate any advuce you all could give me. Thanks.

Reply to
Sunilito

Outside rearview mirrors are the same with late W114/115 = W123 = R107 = C107 = W116

Note that right- and left-hand side are different.

Juergen - once drove W114 230 6-cylinder: Thirsty, rusty and no power steering but otherwise a great car

Reply to
Juergen .