1975 240d automatic

I recently purchased a 1975 240d as a restoration project The car runs and drives great. The Mercedes service manuals came with (3 inches thick). The automatic was
described as a four speed. I never noticed the fourth speed until I pulled out on a steep grade. I engaged the stepdown switch without realizing it and the car went into first gear. I have generally driven the car conservatively and never noticed that it was always starting out from a stop in second gear. Is this normal ? or is there some adjusting that needs done. Should the car be accelerated more aggresively if this is normal behavior of the trany? Thanks Don

It starts in second unless 1. The gearshift is in the low or 1 position or 2. You press the acclerator to kickdown below about 10 mph.
Normal to start off in 2nd gear - avoids neck sprains!
Seriously, one can start off in 1st gear without flooring the accelerator.
At a full stop place the shifter in L and start off - it will be in 1st gear, accelerate and shift up to S and immediately back to L to hold 2nd gear, accelerate and shift up the S for 3rd and finally D for 4th.
Yes, 2nd quite normal, even in modern cars.
Merc expects its drivers to have grace and dignity, who don't need to race in the Traffic Lights Grand Prix...
DAS