1977 450SL Starter Removal Question

The solenoid has failed on my '77 450SL's starter I cannot quite figure out a way to remove the top bolt that holds the starter to the bell housing. I have removed the right side exhaust manifold but
cannot seem to get a wrench on that rear-facing 19mm top bolt head.
Any help?
Thanks.
Leonard

The top bolt is a FORWARD facing allen screw that threads into the starter flange itself (no nut). Use a 10MM swivel " drive allen socket to undo the bolt from behind, with a long (24" or more) extension. You may have to loosen the rear engine mount to move the tranny down or toward the driver side a little. You do NOT have to remove ther manifold.
I have been pulling my hair out all day trying to figure out how to get the top starter bolt out on my 560 SEL. For the last six hours I have been trying to find every way to get a 19mm swivel around the solonoid flange. After finding out that all I need to do is to attack the hex bolt on the bellhousing I am ready to commit suicide.
It does look like a tight fit to get to that hex bolt... do I really need 24" of extensions?
In article

been there, done that (the trying to get the socket in, not the suicide!)

a universal joint for the socket maked it easier
Mac