1977 Mercedes 280E Bad Shakes at 90kph

Hey guys,

Hope someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

Car is a 1977 280E Has been sitting for about 9 months.Engine and Autotrans runs fine. Brakes are a little rough and pulsate upon application.

But the worse thing is the car gets the shakes real bad around 90kph. Seems to be worse when Accelerating hard to 90kph and then backing off really quick??

I haven't inspected under the car but I'm thinking.

It's either-

- Engine or transmission mounts

- Uni joints

- Brake rotors warped

- Front end suspension bushes or loose bits?

Has anyone experienced this before?

Cheers Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Miller

Checked alignment? If the rotors are warped, it wouldn't be a little rough under brakes, you'd be lurching everywhere IME.

-mark

Reply to
mark jb

Haven't checked the alignment yet.Good idea though!

Reply to
Jeremy Miller

Check the tyres.

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

if it has been sitting for 9 months and wasn't inspected by a reasonable mechanic prior to driving like you said, then be careful!

cars are great but cannot be left lying around like that without having potentially serious issues

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Check tyres for lumps , then balance

Reply to
atec

Often... and it's usually from none of the above.

Jack up each wheel in turn and check the tyres for runout... either flat spots from standing or ply separation (which will cause bulges on the tread shoulders).

-- John H

Reply to
John_H

If one or more suspension ball-joints or control arm bushes or tie-rod ends are badly worn, the front end can set up an oscillation (where the whole thing moves back and forth within the slop or play) which can sometimes be stopped by a sudden wrench on the steering wheel. An unbalanced tyre (for whatever reason) can stimulate this oscillation to start, or just going over a bump.

My boss had an HR which did this,..I only travelled in it once!!?

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

A badly unbalanced or defective tire / tyre ought to be considered, especially since the car stood so long.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

**Yep. And every time it was because the wheels required balancing. Just my experience though.
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

Cheers for the input

I'm 99% it's a broken engine or tranny mount.

It seems to come on worse when giving it a bootful shiftting hard.

Reply to
Jeremy Miller