1978 240D Slow Acceleration

My 1978 240D diesel has been giving me some acceleration problems. I recently had the two fuel filters replaced. Last night on the way home from work, every time I stopped for a red light, the car would
accelerate slower and slower. Im able to shift okay, but there is just no pick up. Any suggestions? The car has a little over 200,000 miles on it.
If the engine starts without difficulty in the cold it's probably OK so the fuel system is the prime suspect. The fuel filters may be OK but there's a screen inside the tank and after almost 30 years .....
Ever have an algae problem - it grows in the condensation inside the fuel tank and no, #2 diesel doesn't kill it, an algaecide kills it. But that's the next step, first consider the tank's screen.
Anyone put gasoline into the fuel tank? Or if this is a sudden event the #2 diesel may just be lousy.
Finally, the ultra low sulfur #2 diesel may be causing the old fuel hoses to swell and close up - a possibility to consider for they'll eventually start leaking (sweating first).
permission.
Thanks for the reply. It starts up fine, just doesnt want to accelerate. I never thought of algae in there. I had the fuel filters replaced a month ago, and it ran fine for a while, but its slowing down again. I plan on bringing it to my mechanic next week.
Thanks again ""-->> T.G. Lambach" wrote > If the engine starts without difficulty in the cold it's > probably OK so > the fuel system is the prime suspect. The fuel filters may be > OK but > there's a screen inside the tank and after almost 30 years > ..... > > Ever have an algae problem - it grows in the condensation > inside the > fuel tank and no, #2 diesel doesn't kill it, an algaecide > kills it. But > that's the next step, first consider the tank's screen. > > Anyone put gasoline into the fuel tank? Or if this is a sudden > event the > #2 diesel may just be lousy. > > Finally, the ultra low sulfur #2 diesel may be causing the old > fuel > hoses to swell and close up - a possibility to consider for > they'll > eventually start leaking (sweating first). > -- > 2007 T.G.Lambach. Publication in any form requires prior > written > permission.
pespejo427 wrote:

I have a 81 240d. normal acc is over 22 sec to reach 60 mph.
Once the filling station put gas in the diesel tank.
The fuel system was cleaned out, all filters replaced, It was quite peppy, relatively speaking.
all courtesy of the ins co.
j.

I had a problem years ago where there was an intermittent loss of acceleration in my 300SD and it was the fuel tank screen clogging that TG pointed out. In my case, I think it came from the car being used so little at that time, that it took many months to go through a tank of fuel.
Thats interesting as I havent used my car much this winter. With the fuel just standing around, I guess it would tend to clog things. Thanks for all your help
"trader4" wrote
> > pespejo427 wrote: > > > My 1978 240D diesel has been giving me some acceleration > problems. I > > > recently had the two fuel filters replaced. Last night on > the way > > > home from work, every time I stopped for a red light, the > car would > > > accelerate slower and slower. I'm able to shift okay, but > there is > > > just no pick up. Any suggestions? The car has a little > over 200,000 > > > miles on it. > > > > I have a 81 240d. normal acc is over 22 sec to reach 60 > mph. > > > > Once the filling station put gas in the diesel tank. > > > > The fuel system was cleaned out, all filters replaced, It > was quite > > peppy, relatively speaking. > > > > all courtesy of the ins co. > > > > j. > > > I had a problem years ago where there was an intermittent loss > of > acceleration in my 300SD and it was the fuel tank screen > clogging that > TG pointed out. In my case, I think it came from the car > being used > so little at that time, that it took many months to go through > a tank > of fuel.

fuel tank could have a algae problem
I like to cut open replaced fuel filters to determine how bad they were, as the tank can be loaded with junk. A lot of Benz techs remove the tank filter, so it may not even be there. We used to add one gallon of leaded gas to a tank of diesel to kill algae, but unleaded fuel wont do that so a product like Redline or lubro-Moly should be used a couple of times a year. If the tank is loaded with algea or dirt, treatments wont remove it so the tank needs to be removed and cleaned .