1978 300D 123

I have a 78 300D Benz and I Have oil getting into my air cleaner box where the air filter is. My dad and I rebuilt the vaccum pump figure that was the problem but it wasnt because I still have oil getting in
the air cleaner. The reason why we rebuilt the vaccum pump is because the tube that goes into the top of the air cleaner had some oil in it thats why we changed it. If anybody has any suggestions please reply back.
Thanks,
Michael
The pipe that has the oil in it - does it come from the vacuum pump or the top of the valve cover?
If from the vacuum pump do you suspect a vacuum leak somewhere in the car that's feeding excess air through the vacuum pump?
But, if from the top of the valve cover there's one possibility, especially if the motor is driven for only short distances and so, doesn't get hot enough to expel moisture from the engine oil. (Motor should operate at 80 degrees C. If not, replace the thermostat.)
Inside the valve cover top is a baffle that's specifically designed to allow any oil that's in the crankcase vapor to settle out and drip back into the motor while the gases pass on to the air cleaner. If this baffle is not clear the oil will be blown along with the gases into the air cleaner.
Conversely, a 1978 car probably has done a lot of miles and its motor could just be worn; that wear allows exhaust gases to "blow by" the worn piston rings and into the crank case and then out the vent and into the air cleaner. Higher rpms will push some oil along with the "blow by". The definitive test for blow by is a compression test; that is the only way the really KNOW the internal condition of a diesel engine.
My paper air filter element usually has a bit of oil staining and I've come to regard it as "normal" so long as the air flow isn't diminished. Spotting OK, soaking not OK.

What's the mileage on the engine? After the diesels get up over 250K or so, they started having some cylinder blowby caused by worn rings and cylinders. At that point oil is blown into the air cleaner.
Doug
My car only has a little over 174,000 thoug
"Doug" wrote