1979 Mercedes Engine Dies - What could be the problem?

1979 Mercedes 300 SD. The engine would idle rough (but good) and would run fine. During about a 1 hour period, the car hesitated a few times (semi dying) but then would go right back to running fine. It
then really started to "bog" down untill it finally stalled.
I tried starting a couple of times, semi turns over but then dies as quickly as it starts.
Any ideas?
I just tried replacing the fuel injectors with no luck.
I do notice when I try starting it I get that diesel fume even though I know my glow plugs are working.
Any ideas?

Have you checked both fuel filters? Also, this can occur if sludge accumulates in the fuel tank, more common if the car sits unused for long periods. Another possibility is fuel pump.

Run two cans of deisel purge through it. Sounds like crud inside the injection pump.

http://www.AutoBoardz.com/1979-Engine-Dies-problem-Mercedes-Benz-ftopict205614.html
found the primary fuel filter was totally plugged, although it had very few miles on it. Turned out I'd poured some diesel in from a jerry can which had some junk in it.