1980 240D mercedes standard shift problems

My classic 1980 began to have problems getting out of reverse and back into 1st. One bright day it stayed in reverse. I had a mechanic friend crawl under and jiggle levers to put it back into 1st. Very
rarely drive it anymore, and when I do, I never try for reverse again. Someone told me it was some sort of holder or something. I can't remember exactly what he said, but it seemed to him to be a minor problem, one which I could probly do myself. Anyone got any ideas? 4speed standard

I've never had a 240D but it's my understanding there's a $15 rod that's responsible for this; when it failes you have no reverse (and a lot of cars sell for cheap with "no reverse" or "broekn transmission") when this happens.
You need to find soembody that knows about these transmisions.
Tom Cat wrote:

My '79 240D did the exact same thing. I caqnnot remember exactly what the part was called, but I could pick it out on a diagram. There are some bushing type things where the connecter rods from the shift lever meet the tranny. I think they are a hard plastic and they just plain wear out over time, particularly the one that controls the Reverse, since this is the one that gets used all the time. Replace them all. IIRC, it took about half an hour and the parts were pretty cheap.
Rochelle
let me chime in with my '82 240D, also would not move out of reverse. Took it to a dealer, they took the tranny off and there was a 1" something link that had broken. They migwelded the two pieces together again... cost me 100 I seem to recall... never happend again
cheers