1980 300D - loss of power

My '80 300D suddenly started having problems. I was on the freeway heading up a hill at ~60 mph when RPMs started declining. It got to the point where I could drive about 25 mph max. The car idles fine, and accelerates great from 0-25, but after that it starts having power loss, partciularly on any grade. On a significant grade the car will slowly grind to a halt. If I stop for a minute or two on the hill it will start out strong again but then quickly lose power.

Note that I had the oil changed right before this happened, so I'm considering that they could have screwed something up, but I can't see anything obvious that could have caused this.

My initial thought (and hope) is a clogged fuel filter. I'll trying to find a replacement today. Any other thoughts?

Rip

Reply to
Rip

Yep, I would say clogged fuel filter. Valve adjustment comes to my mind too.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks for the replies, guys. I replaced both fuel filters and the car is back to normal. Must just be coincidence with the oil change. Oil level seems fine, fortunately. I'll run some diesel purge throug it as well when I can get some.

Reply to
Rip

Yup. Those would be the symptoms; textbook. It's almost certainly a closgged fuel filter. Gas or diesel it's the same.

You know you're supposed to change those things regularly :-)

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Same thing happened to my 80 300SD a long time ago. It also was right after an oil change and I too worried that something might have been done wrong. I would occasionally lose power on the highway. But it was also clogged fuel filters.

Reply to
trader4