1980 300SD radiator leak/aux fan?

I think I have a very small leak in my radiator, probably at the bottom, not at hose connections. It is losing a small amount of coolant, maybe 2 qts a month. I think I can see what appears to be a wet spot at the bottom of the radiator, but no actual drips.

Some questions:

What are opinions on trying one of the stop leak products? If used as directed is there any danger in trying and seeing if it works? I've never used one before and just a bit worried about possibly plugging up something else, like the heater core, etc.

Anyone have experience getting a radiator like this repaired? It's the original, 28 years old. I'm thinking since it's that old and shot in one spot, then it's probably corroded elsewhere, etc and not repairable. But on the other hand, I see radiator shops advertising that they do repair radiators.

If I do need a new one, any suggestions on sources?

Finally, the electric aux radiator fan is kaput too. Looks like I can get Bosch for $180 or Meyle for $120. Any thoughts? Also, if anyone has an old one that might have the plastic brush assembly that's inside the motor intact, let me know. That's all that's wrong with the original one, the plastic brush holding assembly in the back of the motor is broken.

Thanks

Reply to
trader4

Trader4, these old radiators are metal so a decent radiator shop should be able to solder a leaking seam or patch a pin hole. Before removing the radiator be sure the hose isn't the leaker.

My '80 loses some coolant and I smell coolant when I park it in the garage but see no leak and find no puddle so I'll be interested in what you find.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach