1980 300SD Resurrection Project

My son's 1980 300SD 116 with ~200M well tended miles has had it's vacuum pump disintegrate. The ultimate result is a camshaft with 3 non-contiguous pieces. He recalls a
sudden very bad chug-chug-chug and then a load metallic snap! This really left me po'd because we had just spent $1100 on a new timing chain, guides, power steering pump seal, and a few other steps toward perfection.
I am about to pull the engine and go in to see how bad it is. Assuming the pistons survived, I'd like to resleeve the cylinders, renew the head, and renew the bearings without machining the crank to go another 100M.
Are there any specific other things to look for in the 300SD while i'm in?
I think I can do it for under $2000 in parts and machine shop. I prefer this to shooting craps with a used engine.
Also, we have rainwater leaks under the front dash that fill the ventilation fan housing. Any typical place to look for the leaks? The air box drains are clean.
Hope to hear from y'all.
Car Lot Dad
1980 300SD 200M+ 1986 300SDL 220M 1986 Toyota Cressida 175M 1990 Isuzu Troopa 225M 1996 Suburban 145M to tow the rest with
Do you own the turbodiesel supplement (to the non-turbo engine manual)?
The turbo manual contains some cautions:
The crankshaft is nitride hardened; it should NOT be induction hardened if ground. I see you don't intend to grind it but thought this should be known to you.
Each lube oil jet positioned at the base of each cylinder (sprays oil into the hollow piston for cooling) is matched to its cylinder. The manual has a caution that these nozzles should not be interchanged as their aim may not be true and the piston would then lack cooling.
How about new front and rear seals for the crankshaft?
How about new oil cooler lines while its out?
I have the turbo supplement so e-mail any specific questions and I'll try to respond quickly and intelligently.
Tom
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
'80 300SD, since new, now at 107K
"I strongly suggest you look for a used engine.The cost of rebuilding this engine correctly after a timming chain failure is very high.