1980 450SL Throttle linkage sticking

I have been lurking in this group for awhile, but no posting yet. I don't know enough to contribute. I purchased my 1980 450Sl in fair-good condition in the fall. I have
not been able to get to it until recently. I wanted to strip the interior (seats and floor insulation) to give it a good detailing and inspection. After I removed those things and NOTHING under the hood, the throttle linkage will not return to idle unless I pull the gas pedal back by hand. I looked under the dash and can't find any thing that would affect the linkage.
Any help will be greatly apperciated.
1980 450 SL black 98,000 mi
If this is a solid rod linkage, you need to lube all the ball joints with tranny oil and check for the spring in the engine compartment. Take that filter housing off to see everything.
Thanks I will get in the engine compartment and start lubing.

On 2010-04-03 10:16:32 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@thepound.net said: <snip> I wanted to strip the

Perhaps the carpet is affecting the pedals travel? I would check that again if that's the part you messed with.
Marty