1981 300D VIN only 15 digits?

ng a 1981 300D with 141K, good condition, no problems - $1200.00
I tried to get a history using the VIN from the title (NY) but it only has 15 digits. As I understand it, any auto 1981 or later should have 17.
Why can't I get a history?
As an aside, is this a good price?
Thanks - Rob
What is the vin you got from the car?

That depends on the definition of good condition and no problems means.
If the car runs OK and drives OK you sure don't have too much to loose. I paid $1,250 for an 83 300SD with some problems over 2 years ago and I have no regrets.
--

Roger Shoaf

designo wrote:

The car is not available right now so I can't look at the VIN on the car.
I don't understand why the title only has 15 digits.
Rob

Marty
to old newer cars have the longer vin #s
the case, minus a few cans!
The 17 digit vin started in the USA in 1980. A 79 300D would have a vin that looked like this: 12313012123456 An 80 300D would have a vin the looked like this: WDBAB30CAAA123456 The 8th digit from the right end denotes year: A = 80, B = 81, C = 82, etc. Using my 81 example above, the chassis number would be 1231301A123456 That may be what NY is using for the VIN? The vin and chassis numbers are 2 different numbers.