1982 240d

Any assistance would be appreciated. Driving down the highway, stated loosing power, car died, will not restart. Pulled pri. fuel filter, appeared ok, pulled glow plugs and all are working. BUT, the glow
plugs are dry when I pulled them after cranking the car. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Station put gasoline in diesel tank. Car ran for about 60 miles died.
same symptoms
mechanic replace all filters, drained tank, purged all lines.
runs better than before.
gas station paid $440 for repairs.
j.
Any air bubbles in the fuel lines? If so check the fuel line hoses (engine and tank) for cracks that could allow air to be drawn into the fuel system. The hand primer pump is another suspect. Air compresses so the injection pump can't achieve the 1,800 - 2,000 psi nozzle opening pressures needed to run the motor.
You checked the primary spin on metal can filter, how about the secondary fuel filter? That's the small, clear plastic one down by the fuel priming hand pump. If that's OK then there's a fuel pick up screen inside the fuel tank.
But before you go to the fuel tank check if the problem really is fuel starvation by cracking open one high pressure line to a fuel injector at the injection pump - just needs to be loosened a turn - if there's a leak when the motor is cranked then there's fuel OR, if no leak, lack of fuel at the injectors is proven. Afterward, just SNUG that connection tight until there's no leak AVOID over tightening its compression fitting.
permission.
On Jul 10, 7:13 pm, "-->> T.G. Lambach <<--" <"T.G. Lambach at NoHamorSpamcomcast.net"> wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Sorry its taken me so long to reply. I had checked all fuel lines, pri. & sec. fuel filters. used hand pump to bleed air. Loosened fuel line going into injector pump, pump all air out until all fuel. Loosened one line at a time at each injector and cranked eng. All i get is a small amount of fuel, not very much press. at all. After tightening everything back up and cranking eng. once in a while it acts like it wants to start, alittle smoke and the exhaust manifold a little warm. I can't help but think the injector pump will not build up enough press. to open the injectors. I hate to sink a pump rebuild into the car.
On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 08:17:26 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net wrote:

I had this problem. It was due to one of two causes (or a combination thereof). The piston seal on the hand priming pump was leaking, allowing loss of fuel prime. Also, the rubber flex hose fuel line coming from the bottom of the fuel tank was rotted.
I would not be quick to condemn the injector pump.
Doug

Doug, when you had the rotted fuel line didn't you leak fuel on the ground? I have no leaks. I even pulled the spin on fuel filter off, cranked the engine, and had fuel being pumped out. There wasn't a lot of pressure but it was a constant flow of fuel. I don't want to say its the injector pump. I haven't worked much with diesels. It's always been gas engines. Thanks for any assistance.
On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:54:02 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net wrote:

There was no real leak from that rubber fuel line that screws into the bottom of the tank (with a brass fitting pressed onto its end). However, it was slightly damp with fuel. I suspect that my main problem was the leaking shaft seal on the hand pump. Have you checked/replaced that?
Have you checked the injector pump start of delivery timing? The procedure is a bit complicated but it is outlined in the Haynes Mercedes-Benz diesel manual.
Other than that, I suspect that I'd be willing to pay for an hour of diagnostic labor charges at your local M-B repair shop before I spent hundred of $$$ on a new or rebuilt injector pump.
Doug

82 240d IP timing
Pulled my IP to replace it. Not sure about the pointer for the timing degrees on balancer. Not like other engines I've worked with (GM). Doesn't have a pointer that I can see. Got someone to explain the bubble method for the IP timing. Also, the IP drive gear on front has a scribe mark; is this used for timing??