1982 240D water leak

I have an interior leak that causes water to come into the passenger side of my 1982 240D. After unplugging all drain holes and cleaning out leaves and
needles from the hood and trunk it still leaks. After taking the carpets out (again, this is passenger side only) I noticed that trickles of water come in through cracks that have appeared where the front passenger would put his/her feet. I had thought that was metal but it seems to be some kind of super hard plastic-like material. Anyway there are cracks in it and water is coming through those cracks. I'm assuming that the water would normally flow behind that barrier and out through the drain holes but that some is trickling through.
Has anyone else had this experience and is the solution simply to apply a sealer along all the cracks. It doesn't matter how ugly it looks because it will be covered up by the carpet.
Peter