1982 300CD Tranny B2 Piston replacement

I've begun replacement of the B2 tranny band piston on my '82 300CD per the link
http://articles.mbz.org/transmission/b2/repair /
Has anyone out there done this? Can anyone expound on Step 6? I can
push in the piston cover, & I believe this proverbial circlip has about
3/4" between ends, but what to do with them? Expand/compression with limited mobility/space seems unlikely here & could even prove difficult
on a bench.
Am I missing something, or is this article describing a pipe dream?
Does anyone know if the flange side of the plastic sleeve faces in?
Does the conical spring go outside the B2 piston with the smaller end butting against the cover?
I want to attach a pic of my presumed orientation, but don't see how.
Thx, y'all

No way. Won't fit That flange is what retains the sleeve.

To be honest, not sure, but I think: no, other way, that centers the spring against the cover.
it *should* be obvious; look for a mating groove.
Richard Sexton <See http://rs79.vrx.net for address> wrote:

Why is the spring out? Isn't it an internal part of the B2 assembly? That's what I'm guessing from my pics. The big spring might be out but the small spring faces big side out into a little saucer thing that's part of the cover.
Circlip removal revelation: there's a slot in the housing @ about 5 o'clock. A long, narrow, regular screwdriver inserted over the exhaust pipe into this slot allows circlip removal.
I installed cone spring w/ small end out, as mating groove in cover suggested.
I installed sleeve w/ flange facing in, as it seemed a good fit against the seal in the housing. Tho, in hind sight, it then acts as a spacer, not a sleeve. Tapered side-in wouldn't fit in hole for piston shaft any way.
Now I'm thinking that's b/c the metal sleeve was still in there, tho what comprised the inner diameter of the piston shaft hole didn't appear to be a removable sleeve.
Whether or not I put the new sleeve in backwards, it now drives fine. But for how long?
Guess I should go back in.
Leck mich am Arsch!

Great, I added that to the article.

Studying my pictures agani I noticed that all 5 of them had the sprig facingthe same way in each pic. While it wasn't assembled I remember putting things for the photos the way they were in real life, so that sounds right.

Do you mean you didn't remove the old metal sleeve?
Not sure. I thought it was with the handful of pieces that dropped out, but if what I described above sounds like it, & the new plastic sleeve's non-flanged side is to face the center of the car & fit into the piston shaft hole, then I guess I didn't remove the old, metal sleeve.
Looks like I'm going back in.

Oopsie.
I dorve arond wth my B2 busted for about 6 months and it was right chewed up. But intact. The bits that fell out were part of the B2 asssembly.
Here's a pic of my B2 sleeve and the new plastic one.
http://images.mbz.org/by_chassis/Sedan/126/parts/trans/b2/b2sleves.jpg
How do you attach pictures to these replies?

You don't. You post them to an appropriate binaries newsgroup, and post a pointer to them here.
Geoff
--
"Making fun of born-again Christians is like hunting dairy cows
with a high-powered rifle and scope." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Geoff Miller wrote:

MIME format? They would be read as "text" by everyone but it would be up to the reader to convert them to JPEG format, if so desired.

It's "allowed" in the sense that no one can stop you. But posting image files that appear as screens and screens and screens of text to anyone who doesn't have the right kind of newsreader is generally frowned upon in non-binaries newsgroups, whatever their format.
Geoff
--
"It looks like you're having a Jules Verne day. Even with 20,000
possible responses, you're still out of your league and out of
Geoff Miller wrote:

Hernando