1982 Mercedes 500SL

Hello all. I've had this car for three days and love it. However, the transmission doesn't seem to be shifting correctly or something. A lot of times, the engine is revving, but the power just isn't getting
transmitted to the rear wheels. It has some power, but not what it's supposed to. It's like the transmission isn't fully engaged. I can tell when it's engaged correctly because the power a very noticable increase in power. I put transmission fluid in it thinking that would solve the problem and it didn't seem to. Also, unless this car has a 3-speed, I've never seen 4th gear engage. Suggestions??
Paul
When was the last service of transmission if records were kept by previous owner?
Perhaps the filter is gunked up or vacumm leak on the domahickey at the tail of transmission?
These cars starts off in second gear. I suggest a fluid change first.
I don't have any service records from the previous owner. I realize that these cars start in second gear (sometimes at least), but even taking that into account, the car just isn't getting all the power when revving. It doesn't like downshifting either, even when flooring the gas pedal.
Ahh... it jump to high gear too fast... tranny trouble. Only a valve body rebuild will fix this problem.
new fluid and filter first, filled to the correct level with the correct fluid. If its still doing as previous, it requires rebuilding as its leaking pressure internally.
| Hello all. I've had this car for three days and love it. However, the | transmission doesn't seem to be shifting correctly or something. A lot | of times, the engine is revving, but the power just isn't getting | transmitted to the rear wheels. It has some power, but not what it's | supposed to. It's like the transmission isn't fully engaged. I can | tell when it's engaged correctly because the power a very noticable | increase in power. I put transmission fluid in it thinking that would | solve the problem and it didn't seem to. Also, unless this car has a | 3-speed, I've never seen 4th gear engage. Suggestions?? | | Paul |
Also to consider;
Perhaps the previous owner or mechanic tampered with the rods or cables that are on the accelerator linkage?Merely food for thought!
I would change the fluid and filter.... It made a world of difference to my 6.9.
On top of that I also changed all 4 fitted flexible rubber hoses, for new updated ones with spring guards on the front belt driven transmission pump and cooler on my 6.9. That made a massive difference. Much higher fluid pressure, resulting in no non sense quick shifts.
6.9 is the only car with a belt driven transmission pump that im aware of...
|I would change the fluid and filter.... It made a world of difference to my | 6.9. | |
Just to clarify, the engine isn't free revving with the transmission engaged. I had that problem with an '89 Cavalier Z-24 I used to own. You would step on the gas and the transmission would feel like it was still in neutral until it engaged. Sometimes it would do that while I was on the highway. My 500SL isn't exhibiting that problem. I am going to have the fluid and filter changed today and see if that completely fixes the problem. I drove it here to work today and the transmission did fine...

Sounds like a blown tranny. If the engine is free wheeling while the tranny is in gear, this is probably a major problem.

Good luck, and I hope I am wrong...