1983 240D Info - Help Please

Hi, I just purchased a 1983, 240D Turbo Automatic. It was a single owner and he had a new transmission put in in 1998 which has approximately 25,000 on. Last evening I drove it about five or six miles and the AC ran fine - the air was cold in a short time. Today I drove the car about 25-30 miles and it sure will run, but the AC does not get cold. I had to drive with the windows down. When I pulled into the drive-way about ten minutes ago, I noticed a belt(?) of some kind had broken and was hanging down from the front of the car. The car will start and it can be driven. Could this 'belt' be connected with the AC and is what is causing the problem, or is this 'belt' to something else? I have only had the car two days. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Yes I do have the address of the mechanic who has performed all the work on this car since it was initially ordered, but his shop is about forty miles from where I live. TIA for your help and advice. Helen

Reply to
Helen

A what?

240D Turbo??

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Oooops. The book is for two different models? But some type conversion was made. I don't know all the details right now since so much of this mechanic language is 'greek-to-me'.

Reply to
Helen

I asked because there is no 240D Turbo - in case there is a T on your book it means the T body, that is the station wagon variant of the 240D.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Helen wrote: (AC not working, one belt gone)

As ist is a 1983 model your has three such belts: One for the alternator and the engine water pump, one for the power steering and one for the AC so it is possible the AC belt is gone.

The latter belt runs horizontically on the lower two big belt wheels.

Seen from the front of the car, located behind the radiator the scheme is like this, (3) is a smaller wheel than the other ones:

( 2 ) ( 6 ) (3) ( 1 ) ( 4 )

It is the one from ( 1 ) to ( 4 )

From ( 1 ) up to ( 2 ) and left to (3) is the alternator belt, if that is gone the little red warning light in the lower section of the instrument cluster lights up, from ( 1 ) sloping up to ( 6 ) is for the power steering which causes the car's steering wheel to turn extremely hard when the engine is running and the car not moving (exactly as is when the car's engine is not running).

Hope this helps, a bit difficult to explain for me.

Juergen

1982 W123 240D auto Euro sedan w/o AC
Reply to
Juergen .

Your observation of the broken belt is excellent; you've diagnosed the problem - a broken belt. That's why the A/C isn't cooling, its compressor is no longer being driven by the engine.

I suggest you simply pull the broken belt out and save it for the shop to get its size. Only do this with the engine OFF.

Any local shop can replace the belt, preferably one that works on German cars. Belt about $10, labor $50.

Ask them to inspect the other belts for if one breaks the others may not be far behind and you may as well replace all of them and be good for some years to come.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach