1983 300 TD Transmission questions

Hello all,

You might have seen my post when I first was looking at this car. It has been great so far. I have been running it on a 50/50 blend of biodiesel and dinodiesel. No problems with power or mileage. Idles smooth and steady. I love it.

Anyway, I do have a question. When the car is cold and has not been driven for a night or so, the transmission flares/slips from 2nd to

3rd gear. When the car is warmed up and I have been driving it, it no longer occurs. Can anyone suggest what may be happening? Also, I have done some research into the fluid levels and how to check them. If I find that it is low, where do I add the fluid? I have been told that you add it where the dipstick is. True? Lastly, what type of fluid should I use to add? Can I use the Lucas brand tranny additive to top it off?

Last question, I do not have a manual for the car so I have no idea what the specs are. I would like to change the oil, know how much fuel it holds, etc.. Do you all know where I might find one?

Thanks in advance. I know these are basic questions, but this is my first Benz Diesel and I want to make sure it lasts.

aaron

Reply to
aaron

Engine and engine oil filter together take 7.5L of lube oil. SAE 10 - 40 DIESEL grade oil like Chevron Delo 400 or equivalent is fine - two one gallon jugs. Do every 5K miles.

Suggest you have a M-B shop do a "transmission service" which changes the transmission fluid and the transmission's fluid filter. It should then be good for 15 K miles. I'd be silent about the flaring - you can always go back and ask them to estimate a repair if fluid change doesn't soon cure the flaring.

Check transmission level after some driving so box is hot, engine idling in P. All fluid levels should be BETWEEN the dipstick's notches. Yes, the transmission is filled through its dipstick tube - never overfill it.

try

or
Suggest you buy and carry a primary (spin-on can) and a secondary (small plastic) fuel filter. Changing to Bio loosens old fuel deposits; they lodge in the filters starving the motor of fuel - it first loses power on hills and acceleration and eventually becomes undriveable. New filters are then needed.

Happy driving.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

Thank you for the info. I will take the car to a MB shop and have a tranny service. We'll see if that fixes it. I will also check the fluids. Have you tried the Lucas brand products? I don't work for them, I promise, but they have always worked for me. I don't want to add something that in not MB safe.

As for the fuel filters, I did recently pick up a spare set of filters for the car. They are sitting in my trunk. I did a great deal of research prior to filling my tank. The 50/50 blend was what I intended to do if I could not find it at the station. I would have just done a mix on my own. However, because of the cold weather, the station, which is really an unmanned tank with a credit card terminal, is selling a 50/50 blend. I have noticed once a reduction in power and a stall, both of which felt like a lack of fuel intake. Not too long after the slowdown, there was a nice little bit smoke car out and the car went about its business. No problems since. I really like the BioDiesel. It costs the same as regular diesel and I get a little "feel good" knowing I am running on a renewable resource. Especially since I suck at doing anything else good for the world ;)

aaron

On Dec 5, 8:21 pm, "-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
aaron

Hello all,

I checked the transmission fluid level after drving the car for about

15 minutes. I was parked in a level spot when I pulled the stick. In each check, it appeared that the level was way too high. I checked it 3 times, carefully cleaning the stick each time. There were markings, as I am sure you all know, that show a high and low level. Mine was an inch higher than both of those. Did I perform the check incorrectly? Is there another way? Check it cold? Please let me know. I feel as though a tranny service is necessary, but I want to exhaust all basic options before I do that. Thank you!!!

aaron

PS. Would this explain why the car falres a bit when cold, but is rock solid when warmed up?

Reply to
aaron