1983 300D A/C..of course because it's summer

Greetings all,
I have a wonderful 83 300D turbo that runs like a dream. Until I turn on the A/C. Then the engine, mainly in the city, feels like it is
always about to die. When I stop, I have to either shut the A/C off or gently press the brake and give it a little gas. I live in Atlanta and A/C in a car is like oxygen. Is there anything I can do to help relieve some of the strain on the engine? When I am on the highway, there are no problems at all. It flies just like when the A/C is off. Any ideas?
Also, recently, or should I say twice, I have blown two, at separate times, the 8 (the white ones) fuses. These fuses cover a lot of cooling related parts. So yesterday I put in a 16 and I had no issues...yet. I am I going to run into trouble down the line?
aaron ha scritto:

I can't help on the first question, but no doubt on the second: fire on board is the risk, exchanging an 8A fuse with a 16A. My suggestion is to check carefully what's wrong in the circuit. Maybe it's only a scortched wire... but if you can't find the problem, ask again.
Agreed with Cordy on no no to the fuse change. You will risk fire.
What is fuse #8 for in W123?
Aaron.... just disconnect your servo wiring and reinsert the 8 amp fuse... drive around and see if the fuse stay good... That is it... no other diagnosing.
You seem to be quite novice when it comes to electric.