1983 300D A/C..of course because it's summer

Greetings all,

I have a wonderful 83 300D turbo that runs like a dream. Until I turn on the A/C. Then the engine, mainly in the city, feels like it is always about to die. When I stop, I have to either shut the A/C off or gently press the brake and give it a little gas. I live in Atlanta and A/C in a car is like oxygen. Is there anything I can do to help relieve some of the strain on the engine? When I am on the highway, there are no problems at all. It flies just like when the A/C is off. Any ideas?

Also, recently, or should I say twice, I have blown two, at separate times, the 8 (the white ones) fuses. These fuses cover a lot of cooling related parts. So yesterday I put in a 16 and I had no issues...yet. I am I going to run into trouble down the line?

Reply to
aaron

aaron ha scritto:

I can't help on the first question, but no doubt on the second: fire on board is the risk, exchanging an 8A fuse with a 16A. My suggestion is to check carefully what's wrong in the circuit. Maybe it's only a scortched wire... but if you can't find the problem, ask again.

Reply to
Cordy

Agreed with Cordy on no no to the fuse change. You will risk fire.

What is fuse #8 for in W123?

Reply to
Tiger

Aaron.... just disconnect your servo wiring and reinsert the 8 amp fuse... drive around and see if the fuse stay good... That is it... no other diagnosing.

You seem to be quite novice when it comes to electric.

Reply to
Tiger