1983 300D Ignition Tumbler Problem

1983 300D ignition tumbler. Hi guys! I'm new to the board and was wondering if any of you could help me out;

My Ignition Tumbler started sticking and being a pain a little while back. It finally stopped working and I searched the boards and my hanes manual to see what I could do about it.

I got the key turned over to Position I, and promptly inserted my paperclip into the little release hole. But my problem is : I turned the key in the wrong direction. Instead of turning the collar counterclockwise, I turned the key and the tumbler itself clockwise. It locked in this position and will turn about 45 degrees, but will not turn past the point where I can stick the paperclip back in again. (It's stuck between Positions I and II) Is there anything I can do, save spend $600 having my mercedes guy tear out the whole assembly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks,

-= Ryan =-

Reply to
Ryan DeLaet

Yeah. Find a new guy. While it may very well need to be chopped out by now, it should onlky take about an hour and a half. New parts come top under $300; a used lock assembly and new tumbler is a safe way to go. Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

I had the same problem. Got a brand new Mercedes tumbler which arrived with only one key. It costs me $60 Cdn for the job at a Mercedes Repair dealer/car graveyard. Bye the bye, I got a copy of the key made for $3.50 before I let him install it. Before I had a generic tumbler put in for less money. Likely not necessary to put in the whole assembly. The key tumbler comes out with a special tool, pop in the new one.

Reply to
autoinfo