1983 300D question

if my light on the dash is out, does that mean my glow plugs are out??

Yes and no.
Yes: It may be out because the 80A strip fuse is blown/cracked on top of the glow relay behind the drivers headlight. Replace it and see what happens.
No: #1 glow plug plug controls the light. If it goes dead, the light will not work.
Look at the fuse 1st.

Those fusible links are cheap at dealerships. Make sure to keep a few spares. They can be counted on to fail at the least convenient times.

Unless the bulbs burned out, yes, at least one.