1983 300D Rear Axle

Hi,
I have a 1983 300D Turbodiesel. Very loud noise comes from rear axles time to time. Does anybody comment on the noise? My mechanic (not a MB mechanic) thinks that I need two rear axles.
If I need to replace the axles where can I find information on how to replace them? Thank you.
Irfan
http://www.cvjreman.com/MercedesBenz.php
That's a parts source for the axles.
The 123 chassis manual describes the job.

Yeah but it could be a vacuum problem which is slamming the tranny into low gear. This will make the axles clunk badly. If they are made worse with a fully loaded car or make an awful click click click noise when goiing around a corner then it's the axel(s). If not and it's clunking then the trannny linkage needs to be adjusted.
Check rear end differential fluid level first. Most likely the seal dried out and cracked where the driveshaft is.

Huh? There is no seal on the back and if the pinion seal is breached and the fluid is low it'll get VERY VERY hot and will STINK the whole car up reeking of diff fluid - unmistakable.
We had a 190E that did just that... roars so loud... no stinks though.

Is the rubber boot torn?
It seems unlikely both would go at once.
Is there any more noise when the trunk is fully loaded with two big adults in the rear seat?
Is the problem worse when going aruond a left or right hand corner or made worse by going around those coerners sharply?
How smooth is is when the transmission downshifts into second when coming to a stop slowly?
Richard Sexton wrote:

It makes the noise whether the car is loaded or not. It is not worse when it is loaded. The noise increases as the speed increases.
No problems around the corners.
Transmission downshifts smoothly. I hear a clunk when I put in Drive or Reverse.
Thank you.
snipped-for-privacy@gnb.ca wrote:

My mechanic told me that I needed one new/used/remanufactured rear axle assembly. Where do I find one in Canada?
Thanks.

I'd egt one from the states. I had an axle replaced by Rolf the uber-wrench and she said of all the rebuilders of CVs here only one was any good and the on we got form them failed after a year. Tiger posted link to a company that seems to do little else than rebuild Benz CV's, I'd try them.

300D and it tended to become more quiet once I accelerated and became more noisy when turning a corner. It would come and go as the balls in the CVJ went in and out of place as the torque, speed, etc., changed. I simply removed the axle, found out which CJF was bad and replaced it. Didn't have to replace the entire axle although this might work better for some DIYers than others. You will need snap-ring pliers to remove the retainer. Be sure everything is super clean during assembly and use gobs of grease as well. Incidentally, you need to twist the yoke of the CVJ all the way to one side in order to get all of the balls in place. A bit tricky but IMHO anyone with a little mechanical experience and larger than average testicles can to the job.

You rebuilt the CV joint? Wow. Did you take pictures?
That's pretty impressive.