1983 300d too cold to start

whenever the weather drops this car will not start. It will take a jump but it takes a very long time. glo-plugs were changed. the original owner had told me that the car was missing something. i cannot remember what that
"something"was. does anyone out there have a clue? thank-you so very much
"what's missing" is probably the glow plug relay's fusible link. The relay is a 3 x 3 black box on the left fender; it has a plastic cover that slides UP. Under the cover is a fuse or fusible link - 80 amps - attached by two screws. Without this being intact the glow plugs won't work, period. The 80 amp fusible link is sold by dealers and on line for a dollar or two, buy a spare.
"The 80 amp fusible link is sold by dealers and on line for a dollar or two, buy a spare."
I didn't think the dealers sold anything for a dollar or two! Especially after getting quoted $70 last week for a tail light lamp gasket! I'm like totally afraid to even call them up anymore cause pretty soon they'll be charging for that too!
If the glow system is working as designed, then it sounds like you are missing some compression.

Not sure what could be missing, but cold starting usually has to do with bad or dirty glow plugs, Valves that need adjustment, fuel filters in need of replacement or bad fuel. Could be bad compression too and that could be valves or rings or just old age!
Can't think of any particular part that would cause poor cold starts.

but
had
much
Maybe an engine heater so you could plug in the car when it gets cold?