1983 300D Value

I recently stopped by a wrecking yard that specializes in wrecked exotic cars. I've seen many very expensive cars that were totaled by the insurance company.
I was pleased to see a 1983 300D Turbo Diesel there. With the exception of a crunched rear fender it is in excellent shape. No cracks in the dash, no rust, the rubber is good and a spotless engine compartment. Other than tarnished engine parts, it probably didn't look much better on the show room floor. I couldn't decide if it was restored or original. It is a yellowish cream color with blue interior and a black dash.
The engine fired up right away with little or no smoke and idled smoothly at about 750 RPM's.
I happen to have a parts car that I could cut to replace the damaged fender.
I am trying to get an idea of what the car would be worth if it did not get wrecked. It will have a salvage title because it was totaled by the insurance company even though the damage is not that bad.
Also, how do I check the engine to see if it is as good as it look.
Thanks
Forgot to mention that it shows 200,000 miles

It started didn't it? You're 80% there.
Open the crankcase breather where yo pour oil in. If fumes are coming out it neds giudes (probably) or rings (maybe). They all do.
But it started. It'll probably go 200K more miles.
Thanks for your anwser.
$4000 is probably too much, right?