1984 190d timing chain

I bought a 1984 190d benz from a guy who tried to change the timing chain. He got it partially done and messed up. He thinks the chain is right now, but gave up and sold it to me. Are there some timing marks I can check to make sure it is right. And how do I know how to time the injector pump? thanks, Lon

Reply to
v6stol

That's a challenge. These comments apply to the 240D/300D diesels, your motor is probably similar in principle but you need to get its actual specs. So at best consider this as an overview.

I'd check the chain's tension - is the chain taught or sloppy.

(I'd also check the peening quality of the new chain's connecting link.)

The 300D motor has a groove cut into the driver's side of the front cam support (C/L of camshaft); it also has a notch cut into the thrust collar immediately behind the chain's cam sprocket. The cam is at TDC (000 degrees) when the notch and the groove are aligned. One then reads the crankshaft angle down on the harmonic damper, hopefully it is also about 000 degrees. Don't turn the motor by the cam and turn it only righthandidly.

The injection timing of the 240D/300D diesels is in two parts: The fine adjustment is done by loosening and turning the injection pump in place; turning the top of the IP towards the motor advances the timing, away retards. The more basic adjustment is to remove the IP, set the motor to 24 degrees(300D motor, yours may differ) BTDC of #1 cylinder (check that #1's valves are closing for its compression stroke) and align the IP's drive gear's intentionally missing tooth with a groove cut into a ring behind that gear. Reinstall the IP and the timing should be about right.

The big job here is to ensure that the cam is correctly timed with the crank. The IP timing can be a separate project.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach