1984 300D antenna adapter

Hello all

Does anyone know where I'd be able to find an adapter that would fit newer, North American antenna models? I disengaged the power antenna and bought a simple replacement, however, the Mercedes end of the wire requires a male adapter that would need a very small pin at one end and a standard female connector at the other end.

Somewhere in Canada would be good!

Thanks

Reply to
Cheg

Just cut the wire bare and insert it like a pin.

Reply to
Tiger

I thought of that, but doesn't the wire need to be grounded?

Reply to
Cheg

Actually, you can get the adapter you are looking for at WalMart in their car audio section. I bought a pack with both the german-american and american-german adapters for about $7 if I recall. It was actually labeled for VW, but was a perfect fit. And yes you do need to connect both the center pin and ground the shield.

Reply to
Al McWhorter

I am assuming you bought the generic Hirschman antennae... I think it is

2040... I did this to my car... the grounding is though the chassis mount. You can see the black wire is supposed to be mounted to the mouting bracket... which is then attached to the body chassis... hence the ground.
Reply to
Tiger

Tiger's right. I bought a Hirschman to replace the old, broken MB that came with my wife's '81 300D. I simply installed the antenna, hooked up the black ground wire to the inner fender well "fin", plugged the blue wire from the antenna up/down sensor into the corresponding wire in the MB plug, found the "always hot" wire, and plugged the antenna "always hot" lead into that. The wiring instructions with the antenna were pretty much straight forward. Viola, everything has worked perfect since.

Reply to
Ernie Sparks