1984 300D ignition key won't turn

Hi,
I have a 1984 300D that recently developed a problem with the ignition. Frequently, the key won't turn out of position 0. As soon as the problem began, I ordered a new key (cut to code) and installed a new
tumbler set. This seemed to fix the problem for a day or two, but now the problem has returned. Perhaps coincidentally, I have also been having problems with the battery. I have had to recharge it twice recently.
Any advice on what to check next?
thanks, Carl
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Not terribly familiar with this year of vehicle, but is the ignition lock electrically-operated? With a dead battery, it's possible that there's not enough current to unlock the ignition.
If you've needed to recharge the battery twice recently, perhaps it would be prudent to get a new battery? It'd be interesting to see if the problem disappears afterwards...
--
Pete Stephenson
HeyPete.com

See http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?t 9563&highlight=sander "steering lock pin jamming"?