1984 300D Turbo Diesel

I purchased a 1984 MB 300D a few weeks ago and so far love the car. It is clean and drives nice. However, I have not had a mechanic look at the vehicle yet and was wondering if anyone knew of an honest mechanic in the Houston, TX area where I can have my car checked out.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Benz by Blair is one of the best independents. 713 661 2391 I think, just south of the Galleria.

I am jealous, I have always wanted a turbo Jeremy

76 300D

Mark wrote:

Reply to
Jeremy

Thanks for the information. I will call them today to set up an appointment. Yeah, so the car runs really well and seems to get pretty good gas mileage. Yep, the Turbo is nice.

Thanks again,

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Mark--

What is your fuel milage, and how many miles on your engine?

--Geoff '84 300D

Mark wrote:

Reply to
Geoff

Geoff:

On the first tank I got about 26 mpg. It was about 50% highway and

50% city driving. On the tank that I am currently using it has been about 90% highway miles so hopefully it will be closer to 30 mpg's. Maybe I am just being optimistic. The car has 189,000 miles and I am not sure when the last maintenance was done to it before I purchased it.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Two things as suggestions. You may have got lucky, but never buy an old MB without someone checking it first. Never accept 25 mpg as decent mileage from anything but a luxury European car, and the 300D series has never been considered luxury.

I do however consider being able to start a 28 year old car without thinking about it, after leaving it sitting for a month or two, a considerable luxury :-)

JJ

Mark wrote:

Reply to
Jeremy

I only get 25-26 mpg combined, or highway driving. In order to get 30 mpg on the freeway I would have to drive slower than the 65-70 mph I normally do. My milage did not improve after rebuilding the engine.

--Geoff '84 300D

Mark wrote:

Reply to
Geoff

You are right. I can only hope that I got a decent vehicle. I do have lots of maintenance records from the previous owner and it had a "major" or "30,000" mile service done at 142,000 miles and another at

174,000 miles with lots of oil changes, etc. in between. I am having a "minor" or "15,000" mile service done next week. I guess I will wait and see if I got a decent vehicle or a used up piece of metal....

Mark

Reply to
Mark

How much did you pay for it, if it is not a rude question?

Two things to remember; Use synthetic oil, it really pays off and let the turbo cool down before switching off the engine.

JJ

Reply to
Jeremy

I paid $3500 for the car. I had the oil and filter changed when I bought it and noticed that the previous owner used Castrol GTX Synthetic so I had the service shop use the same oil. Thanks for the tips.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Geoff:

I filled up the vehicle last night and got the same mpg as before.....26mpg. So I guess in my case, like yours, the car performs about the same in city and highway driving. I guess that me assuming I could get 30mpg was a little of a stretch.

Mark

Reply to
Mark