1984 300D Turbo Diesel

I purchased a 1984 MB 300D a few weeks ago and so far love the car. It is clean and drives nice. However, I have not had a mechanic look at the vehicle yet and was wondering if anyone knew of an honest
mechanic in the Houston, TX area where I can have my car checked out.
Thanks in advance,
Mark
Benz by Blair is one of the best independents. 713 661 2391 I think, just south of the Galleria.
I am jealous, I have always wanted a turbo Jeremy 76 300D
Mark wrote:

Thanks for the information. I will call them today to set up an appointment. Yeah, so the car runs really well and seems to get pretty good gas mileage. Yep, the Turbo is nice.
Thanks again,
Mark

Mark--
What is your fuel milage, and how many miles on your engine?
--Geoff '84 300D
Mark wrote:

Geoff:
On the first tank I got about 26 mpg. It was about 50% highway and 50% city driving. On the tank that I am currently using it has been about 90% highway miles so hopefully it will be closer to 30 mpg's. Maybe I am just being optimistic. The car has 189,000 miles and I am not sure when the last maintenance was done to it before I purchased it.
Mark

Two things as suggestions. You may have got lucky, but never buy an old MB without someone checking it first. Never accept 25 mpg as decent mileage from anything but a luxury European car, and the 300D series has never been considered luxury.
I do however consider being able to start a 28 year old car without thinking about it, after leaving it sitting for a month or two, a considerable luxury :-)
JJ
Mark wrote:

You are right. I can only hope that I got a decent vehicle. I do have lots of maintenance records from the previous owner and it had a "major" or "30,000" mile service done at 142,000 miles and another at 174,000 miles with lots of oil changes, etc. in between. I am having a "minor" or "15,000" mile service done next week. I guess I will wait and see if I got a decent vehicle or a used up piece of metal....
Mark

Mark wrote:

How much did you pay for it, if it is not a rude question?
Two things to remember; Use synthetic oil, it really pays off and let the turbo cool down before switching off the engine.
JJ

I paid $3500 for the car. I had the oil and filter changed when I bought it and noticed that the previous owner used Castrol GTX Synthetic so I had the service shop use the same oil. Thanks for the tips.
Mark
I only get 25-26 mpg combined, or highway driving. In order to get 30 mpg on the freeway I would have to drive slower than the 65-70 mph I normally do. My milage did not improve after rebuilding the engine.
--Geoff '84 300D
Mark wrote:

Geoff:
I filled up the vehicle last night and got the same mpg as before.....26mpg. So I guess in my case, like yours, the car performs about the same in city and highway driving. I guess that me assuming I could get 30mpg was a little of a stretch.
Mark