1984 300TD Wagon Ignition Lock Please Help ...

Any thoughts on a ignition lock for a 1984 300TD wagon that will not unlock ? Key Goes in and out fine ... key is not bent ...steering wheel will turn but only as much as normally would if locked ...

Thanks

Reply to
M N

If the gear shifter on this model has an interlock with the key I'd shake the shifter a bit.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

its an automatic and im not sure if theres an interlock but ill try it

Thanks Much

Reply to
M N

Here is what I would do... squirt a bit of graphite lock lubricant in the ignition... insert key and wiggle in all different direction.... up, down, diagonally until the ignition unlocks... then work the ignition back and forth a bit... but not into off position.

At this time, you should be running off to dealer to get a new ignition lock... takes a couple of days to get a new one. But they should be able to give you a temporary new lock.

Reply to
Tiger

Stop. Factory locks come lubricated with grease. If you pump graphite into a lock with sticky grease then you have a bigger problem than you started with.

Flush it out with a solvent or even WD40.

Also tell me this, does the key work really smoothly in the passenger door lock? If not you might have a worn key problem.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf