1984 500 sel please help me on this one

Hi all, hate to be a pain about the car, but I been thinking, maybe there is a simple reaon why the car is so starved for air that it is blowing black smoke, and it is the same reason that the vacuum line coming
from the manifold will choke out the car if it is covered., Maybe the cold start valve is fine, just that the car airway is somehow blocked or stuck, so that the only air the manifold can get is thru that vacuum connection. A stuck Throttle valve ? I am kinda afraid to drive the car now , as I don't want to damage anything running it so rich on gas ... Thanks ahead, Jim www.benzbay.com
Rich, yes.
But it could also be because it is getting too much gas.
It sounds like a stuck EHA (Electrohydraulic Actuator - the small rectangular unit on the back side of the fuel distributor).
Well, I looked but couldn't find anything on the back of the fuel distributor that looks like what you are describing. The car has sat awhile, and I know the cruise was froze up so maybe there is more than one thing rusted open or closed.

The 84 500SEL doesn't use an EHA valve. It uses a control pressure regular (block with 2 fuel lines and an electrical connection located near front of engine). Fine tuning of fuel mixture is done with a frequency valve located on left side of the fuel distributor. It looks like an injector but has fuel lines on both ends. First, remove the two screws holding the cold start valve to the engine. Carefully pull it up (keep the fuel line hooked up.) and place it in a small container to catch any fuel that comes out. Have someone start the engine while you watch for fuel comming out. There may be a spray while the starter is enguaged but none after the engine starts. If it leaks you have found your problem. If that wasn't it, remove the air cleaner assembly and make sure the mass air flow plate (thats what I call it) is completly closed. If it is partially open, that will be your problem. If the above fail to show the problem then you will have to check the control pressure. This takes a special fuel pressure guage. This is not the system pressure but fuel pressure used to control the fuel distributor. I have seen quite a few control pressure regulators go bad and cause the problem you have. By the way, I have an 84 500SEL and I am speaking from experience. Paul