1984 500 sel water pump

I just acquired this car, any tips for replacing the water pump? and checking the central lock system. Thanks Guzzi

I have a diesel W126 chassis car so the water pump experience I have is not, I think, applicable. I've never heard it's too much of a problem though.
The central locks. Ah yes, well, um, er. It's not hard but it's pretty damn time consuming.
They're vacuum operated. There is a regulator for each door and usually one of them fails. The regulators aren't teribly expensive and even cheaper, George Murphey used to sell replacement diaphragms for $5 ea.
Step 1: get a mighty-vac (or equiov) vacuum tester. You can't do this without one.
If memory serves (it's been a few years) the vacuum lines are under the carpet on top of the steel floor. One is vacuum and one is return - I *think*. By carefully testing - again, I *think* the yellow one, you can ascertain which door vacuum reglator is leaking. Then you have to pull the door panel off (easy) and replace that unit.
The trunk and fuel filler door is also in the circuit.
Richard Sexton wrote:

have the instrument cluster pulled and checked the bulbs, the dimming control has a spring sticking out..I would like to replace the unit without to much damange....Thanks Guzzi
Get the service manual... it requires removing the distributor so timing is an issue.
Tiger wrote:

the service manual? Any tips for replacing the light control module for the instrument cluster, I pulled the cluster out and checked the bulbs>> Thanks Guzzi