1984 D or SD - How much maintenance?

Am looking at several 84 D's and SD's. Most have about 150,000 miles on them. All appear to be in great working condition.
So, what are the first things to go? How much should I expect to pay
in maintenance assuming no horrific problems? Say, $1,000 per year? Will they truly last to 250,000 miles or beyond?
Or, is it just a myth?
Regards,
Doug FEjer
I got mine with 117K and didn't really have to put any significant bucks (>$300) into it until after 230K, when the transmission went. This seems to be the traditional first "big hit". An installed reconditioned tranny cost me about $1700 (they had to do it twice - the first one was bad, but my mechanic backs up his work). I decided to get handy at the same time, so it was followed by a flurry of stuff that I did myself - radiator (plugged up), ball joints, exhaust, shocks, brake pads & rotors - nothing out of the ordinary - and now at 250K it's a "sweet ride" once again. SO, this last year was nasty as repairs go - about $2500 - but considering that I've had the car for four and a half years, your estimate of $1,000 per year isn't too far off - but during the first three years I only spent an average of about $400.
Of course, if the body hasn't been maintained over the years, rust can negate all of the best engine and drivetrain maintenance in the world.
Don't forget to adjust the valves every 15-20,000 miles, keep good, clean fluids in it, and wash it once in a while, and you'll be able to pass it on to your grandchildren.
Douglas Fejer wrote:

The scheduled maintenance is: 5K miles engine oil & filter, 15K miles valve adjustment, 30K miles engine fuel & air filters, transmission oil & filter. Every two years change the coolant and brake fluid.
Add brake pads, engine drive belts, battery, tires etc.
You should know that the useful life of these engines and transmissions is probably 250K to 300K miles, or more, depending on the level and consistancey of the maintenance.
These cars require more attention than a Detroit product, there's no free lunch here.