1984 Mercedes 500 SEL wont start

1984 Mercedes 500 SEL with 199,975 miles. Just bought it, but couldnt drive it for 2 days due to the weekend and DMV not open. Car was started both days though, just didnt drive it. In the past few days in Michigan, it has been very cold, like 0 degrees plus -15 windchills and stuff like that. I got the car registered and insured today, and went to start it and no start. There is a clicking noise, but the car will not turn over, almost like the starter is frozen. Could this happen because of the weather, and what should I do about it. Please help, i love this car
Reply to
Rick

It is most likely the starter on the way out... Considering that it is most likely an original starter... that is great life.

Take a hammer and whack the starter and then try to start it.

Reply to
Tiger

Battery or starter is dead. Charge the battery (or at least warm it up in your house overnight (acid eats fabric so put it on a newspaper)). If you KNOW the battery is well charged hit the starter with a 2 x 4. If the starter then works you know where the problem lies.

Good luck with it.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

Hit the starter HARD.

Does it make a spinning/whirring sound or just click?

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Wow that was fast for replys. The battery is new and has plenty of juice. It only makes a click, no other noise. Where is the starter at, and I will give it a whack and see what happens.

Reply to
Rick

Passenger side by the front wheel... by the cat.

Reply to
Tiger