1985 380SE Air Condition

All,

I need to replace my air condition compressor. While doing this how should I proceed to convert the system to the latest freeon?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
William

You should convert to R134A... it is much cheaper than the R12... $4 compared to $35 plus professional service charge.

I know you can use Freeze-12... and will cost you $10 a bottle... but it is up to you.

Reply to
Tiger

Tiger,

That sounds great! Should I drain the old R12 from the system, or can I just add the R134A?

Reply to
William

You must vacuum out all r-12, then use the correct oil prior to recharging the system, you must also replace the receiver-drier. R-134 works at higher pressure than r-12, so it is less efficient in systems made for r-12. R-12 and r-134 are NOT compatible and can NOT be mixed.

r-12 is not as expensive as it was a year ago, there is alot of Mexican stuff coming across the border, it may be just as cheap to recharge with the r-12 this time.

Bernard

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

Wrong on pressure... R134A is so close to R12... R-12 is preferred at

34PSI... and R134A is at 37PSI... If you call 3 PSI alot, well... you are wrong.

Since you are replacing your compressor, make sure you use Ester Oil for lubricant... follow the instructiont that comes with the compressor... they should tell you how much you need to add into the compressor before install.

Then you need to create a vacuum on your entire system after you finish install... usual typical stuff...

Reply to
Tiger

Oh by the way, R12 regardless where you get it from, you need license to buy it or face stiff fine if caught. That is if you are working on your own system.

Otherwise, like I said, no one give you discount on those R-12 when they can make that kind of money on it.

Reply to
Tiger

All - thank you for the wonderful advise.

Reply to
William