1986 190e Rear door ouside handle won't open door

My outside rear door handle, doesn't open the door (it's unlocked or at least the button is up).
The inside door handle opens the door fine.
I have opened the door and don't see anything broken or stuck. I also
don't see exactly how this is supposed to work.
The manual also doesn't seem to have a picture of this system.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Marty