1986 300E

Hello,

Which is the best engine coolant to use? I vaguely remember reading that Mercedes' own coolant is not the best - or did I get that totally wrong? Is Zerex G05 the one to use?

Thanks

SR

Reply to
SSR

Same thing. Exactly the same thing.

Richard Sexton

Thank you :)

SSR

Reply to
SSR

Ok, so why is the "green stuff" bad/wrong/whatever? It's what I've got in my car now...

-tom!

Reply to
Tom Plunket

Merceds antifreeze has better 'chemistry' it appears wrt metal and aging and corrosion ...... not sure of the 'exact' details.

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

It's not very strongly pH buffered and can turn acidic over time. It's been seen to eat through an aluminum head rendering it useless. If your car has an iron head you're probably ok.

Reply to
Richard Sexton